The US is reeling after explosive devices were sent to a range of high-profile political leaders. Jesse Robertson, Daniel Failla, Lachlan Guertin and Michael Thompson follow the breaking news:
- Former Vice President Joe Biden and actor Robert De Niro were targeted by suspicious packages, bringing the total number of bomb interceptions to 10
- Packages mailed to De Niro’s Tribeca complex in New York City and Mr Biden’s residence in Delaware once again featured a return address of Florida Democratic Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
The #FBI has confirmed three additional packages, similar in appearance to the others – one in New York addressed to Robert DeNiro, and two in Delaware addressed to former Vice President Joseph Biden.
— FBI (@FBI) October 25, 2018
- The latest targets continue the trend of targeting public figures who have been vocal in their condemnation of President Trump.
Robert De Niro says “f*ck Trump” at the #Tonys ✊🏾 https://twitter.com/dialmformovies/status/1006005583160360960/video/1 …
— Okayplayer (@okayplayer) June 11, 2018
- The crisis unfolded on Wednesday, US time, when packages containing explosive devices were sent to both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.
- This came a day after a bomb was discovered in the mailbox of billionaire and Democratic Party supporter George Soros.
- Explosive devices were also sent to Eric Holder, the attorney general under Obama, and to the New York offices of CNN addressed to John Brennan, Obama’s CIA director.
- CNN’s New York offices were evacuated in the middle of a live broadcast after the package containing a “live” explosive device and “white powder” was sent to their mailroom.
Thank you to ALL the amazing members of the @CNN team who helped us bring you the breaking news today. Especially you @haleydraz @JulianCummings Deb Doft, Michelle Moryc, Lisa Zay & the entire camera crew. @jimsciutto and I are proud to call you our colleagues. pic.twitter.com/IC4fy5pjPh
— Poppy Harlow (@PoppyHarlowCNN) October 24, 2018
- California Democratic Representative Maxine Waters responded to her scare: “We have to keep to doing what we’re doing in order to make this country right.”
- According to the FBI, the packages were all similar, containing small but potentially lethal pipe bombs.
Photos of the bomb and package sent to CNN pic.twitter.com/nBq3ArtChJ
— Jim Acosta (@Acosta) October 24, 2018
- So far no suspects have been identified, but the packages have been sent to the FBI laboratory in Virginia for analysis.
- President Trump called for unity, saying “this egregious conduct is abhorrent to everything we hold dear”.
We condemn the attempted attacks against fmr Pres Obama, the Clintons, @CNN & others. These cowardly actions are despicable & have no place in this Country. Grateful for swift response of @SecretService, @FBI & local law enforcement. Those responsible will be brought to justice.
— Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) October 24, 2018
- White House press secretary Sarah Sanders condemned the attacks, promising that “anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law”.
- Hillary Clinton thanked the Secret Service for their quick response to the package sent to her house, saying it was “a troubling time”.
Speaking at an event early Wednesday afternoon, @HillaryClinton said her family is fine and “grateful” for the work of the Secret Service which caught the package before it got to their home. She said this is a “troubling time” https://t.co/kz8twRfHoD pic.twitter.com/C5BOVfZISR
— Fox News (@FoxNews) October 24, 2018